Sunday, 11 September 2011

The Genealogy Project

For several months I've been collecting papers and embellishments with a vintage/retro theme, in order to one day find the right kind of time, inspiration and confidence to create a scrap album of my family history.

Today I felt inspired to do what I sometimes do from time to time - scatter the papers across the floor, layer photos on top, and see if I'm brave enough yet to put a layout together.

Not today.



I've rehashed over my own childhood history, mulled over my one childhood photo album, filled mainly with photos of my first two and a half years, and most of which feature me splashing about at Whangamata, sitting astride a horse (or my beloved elephant stuffed toy) and riding my trike around the garden of my first childhood home.



I've scanned my mother's photos from her own childhood, and those of my siblings who were busy living out their lives long before I was born (being the youngest of five on my mother's side, I was an unexpected late-comer to the party, and as I'm also the product of my mother's second marriage, my sisters and brothers are all older half-siblings.)

 Along the way I've learnt snippets of family history I would never have known, had I not the occasion to discuss the photos with mum, thus stirring her to share tales of the past.



The man in the top left photo is my grandfather. Mum remembers him doubling her on that bike. She was far closer to her dad than to her mum (who was ill-tempered and emotionally detached), and was devastated when he passed away - she was only 17.
Left center: My grandmother and my little uncle Wayne. He died when he was just two and a half years old. This is the only photo of him.
Bottom left: The wedding of my brother Tony and his wife Anne. They're still together today. The little girl kissing Anne is my sister Tracey. The bridesmaid looking in the door way is my sister Karen.
Top right: My mother's first husband, Fred Butler. They both remarried after divorcing, but a part of her never really stopped loving him. Next to him is my brother Tony (who, for the record, I've only ever met twice. The second time was at his fathers funeral.) The super-stylie lady to the right is my mum.
Middle right: My uncle Peter and Prince Charles. Uncle Peter died several years ago in - I think - a motorbike accident.
Bottom right: My sister Tracey who is 9 years my senior and closest to me in age.
The gorgeous child in the middle is my mother.

I hope I'll start a new scrapbook with these photos sooner rather than later. I just want to make sure I get it right. So, I'll wait just a little longer yet...

5 comments:

  1. i love looking at old family photos. YOu have quite a treasure here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so facinating looking through old family photos and wonderful when you have family members that remember them! Goodluck in your research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your old photos and I enjoyed reading up on the story behind the faces...don't leave it too long to start your album, I carnt wait to see some of your treasures scrapped!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos! I agree don't wait too long to start your project I'm sure it will turn out beautifully! Can't wait to see what you create with those photos. So glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow thanks for all the lovely comments, I appreciate it!

    I'm hoping to start my first page of my genealogy project shortly, beginning with the photo of my mother as a child. That photo has always been my favourite. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...